Thursday, February 9, 2012

30-Day Drawing Challenge: Day 7

"Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father! Prepare to die!"

This may be one of the most instantly-recognizable film quotes in the English-speaking world, and for good reason -- even if, oddly, the movie wasn't a box office success. It really has stood the test of time and reached a broad range of audiences; I've met very few people who haven't seen it, and I've met exactly zero people who didn't love it.

The Princess Bride is only a few years younger than I am, and it was a staple of my childhood -- I went through several phases where I watched it every single day. My dad's favorite greeting for me was, "What's up, Buttercup?" and my mom is, to this day, convinced that I will wear a wedding dress like the one in the movie. (She will have to be disappointed. This is New England, not medieval England...)

As a result, I'm one of those (kind of irritating) people who knows every bit of dialogue and every move of the sword fight choreography by heart. TJ always switches the channel when it comes on TV because I just can't resist quoting along at certain parts, but that's fine with me because I know exactly which parts they've whittled away to make it fit into the time slot (and it irritates me to no end). It's the DVD version or nada, my friends.

This year marks the cult classic's 25th anniversary, and to celebrate, the Brattle Theatre is showing it this weekend. I encourage you all to see it and get yourself a case of the warm fuzzies.

I'll always be delighted by the fact that the man who plays Inigo shares my first name... and by that amazing moustache and crazy pirate hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment