Sunday, February 26, 2012

30-Day Drawing Challenge: Day 10

I love sugar.

I love cookies, I love cake, I love nearly every form of candy from Jolly Ranchers to the fanciest dark chocolate. I couldn't get myself addicted to cigarettes -- and I did try! -- but I have never been able to break my addiction to sugar. It's the thing I crave most and the thing I always turn to when I'm having a crappy day.

Oh, sugar, I wish I knew how to quit you.

My enthusiasm for sugar drastically increases when it comes to holiday treats. After all, the normal stuff comes in fun shapes (a Snickers that looks like a little soldier!) and there are certain mind-blowingly tasty things you can only get that one time a year. I think you all know what I'm talking about.

Cadbury Creme Eggs, y'all.

I have loved those things for as long as I can remember. They were a major reason I looked forward to Easter as a kid (and they're pretty much the only reason I still do). When I worked at CVS, I used to buy tons of them on post-season clearance with the intention of hoarding them year-round; instead, they'd all be gone within the week. In more recent years, I've purchased a box or two of the miniature ones, thinking I could enjoy the smaller doses of deliciousness and thus feel less guilty. That didn't work either; I could never eat just one.

These days I try to just avoid the seasonal aisle at Walgreen's as much as I can. A few days ago, however, I caved and bought one. Some childhood loves lose their luster after a few years, but that Cadbury Creme Egg was every damn bit as delicious as I'd remembered.

And I didn't feel even a little bit guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment